Sunday, February 5, 2012

So. To Clarify. I make no claim to understand women any better than a pimple faced teenager and I am thirty five years old. Therefore, I was floored when I read Woman as Other by Simone De Beauvoir. Are women truly regarded as an other. Does sexism truly exist in a country where we nearly elected Hillary Clinton? IN the world of Margaret Thatcher? Angela Merkel? Christine La Garde? I can name many more. And yet something from within tells me that this is a false argument. the aforementioned names are but a few in a long history dominated by men. As De Beauvoir has eluded to - this originates to the Book of Genesis in the bible. This is a long stemming issue that has yet to be resolved and a clear resolution will not occur on this blog by my meager mind.

I wish to approach the situation with a degree of levity. Tongue and cheek if you will. I see man and women as co-cohabitants of this beautiful world in which we reside. One cannot survive without the other. that is a biological fact. Procreation. Yes. I said it. Men determine the sex of the child but women carry that child to birth and let me tell you that is no picnic. I have witnessed the birth of my son. His mother surpasses the regalia of any formal monarch in my eyes. The pain suffered during the process is one of which I am incapable of enduring.

I also recognize that I originate from a woman. My mother. Aside from the fact that she is capable of breaking a frying pan over my head (I say this because she is a professional chef - not a house wife!) I have the utmost respect for her. It takes great character to raise a child alone. It is the act, regardless of the physical prowess or size of the income which eventually determines character. The same can be said for a man. I suppose that what I am trying to say is that it doesn't matter if the person is a man or woman. Your actions define your character.

I submit you the following clip from a movie which is dear to my heart and relevant to the subject matter. Something's Gotta Give, written and directed by Nancy Meyers - one of the few successful directors in Hollywood (wink wink nudge nudge). The story depicts two clearly defined and radically different people, or are they? Both are successful. One has been married once and now divorced. The other is an habitual love them and leave them artist, yet was once engaged. Both are financially successful. Both are well respected in their respective fields. Both have dated younger people. Both are creatures of habit - meaning that they don't really care for change. What is their connection? They fall in love. One says "either you really get me, or you hate me." The other replies with "I don't hate you." This implies that they understand each other on a level that most people are unable to comprehend much less experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSjI-xiH7j0

I submit this to you because this movie takes the stereotype and turns it on it's huge head. These are two human beings. Both flawed. You could call either a male, right? And if you're feeling especially brave, either a female, right? I try to keep an open mind and try not to judge a book by it's cover. I am not always successful but I believe that if more of us made this effort the world would be a more accepting place for woman and man.


No comments:

Post a Comment