Monday, March 5, 2012

Bond Presentation

This presentation has been a hoot to prepare for. I have selected James Bond’s progression through the decades and have selected a structuralist versus a post structuralist perspective to apply to the main four men who played Bond. Connery, Moore, Brosnan, and Craig. Our group met quite a few times in the weeks before class and had two meetings the weekend of our presentation. I was unable to make the two meetings due to work and my obligation to my son (sorry). I do think that we will have a great presentation Monday night. I chose several clips from the Connery era (Dr. No and You Only Live Twice) and a youtube documentary which depicts the evolution of the Cold War. 
For Roger Moore, I used the examples of Live and Let Die, The Man with the Golden Gun, and Moonraker. The corresponding film footage chosen was Richard Roundtree’s Shaft, Smokey and the Bandit and Star Wars: A New Hope. Moore represents a structuralist Bond in a new era. It would be a post structuralist or post modernist era. Done to make money. A mimic of the times. 
Brosnan is a structuralist character stuck in a post structuralist world. He is constantly called a dinosaur by his peers and his enemies alike. there are several clips which I selected from the movie and it’s teaser trailer which depict this opinion. 
Craig is the post structuralist Bond trying to find his way in a post structuralist world. He is newly commissioned and trying to find his way int the world. He makes mistakes and is gaining his footing as a 007. that being said, I may want to change my clips that I selected. There are many many more examples of this transition. 
All in all, this group adventure has been a trying one at times. I struggle to work in groups and find that I do better alone. That is not to say that there is anyone in my group who is not doing a great job. I just like to go it alone. Granted, that is the maverick way and can lead to failure being placed on a single person as opposed to spreading it throughout the group but I just have an affinity for it. 
On a separate note, these blogs are frustrating at times. I find myself trying to find things to say. I can only discuss structuralism and post structuralism so much. I never thought of James Bond in this manner. I merely watched his movies to engage in a degree of escapism. This process of deconstructing James Bond has diminished by enjoyment of pure escapism. Thanks for that, by the way. While I recogonize that I am whining - there is some truth to this. I like the fact that I no longer look at things at face value but there is a sad truth to deconstructing an icon like this beloved one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment